Sunday, January 15, 2012

On Love and Vigilance


It's been tough trying to unravel two-odd decades of 'acting a certain way' in a matter of months. Naturally, I had to forget about time limits altogether in order to maintain my sanity. It's like sanding down the surface of a record and putting entirely new grooves on it. Unlearning all the old songs has given me a lot to work on, and I didn't realize just how difficult it would be. It's been like coming home from a trip to the beach and totally forgetting about the four days of dumping sand out of uncomfortable places.

As Mad-Eye Moody would say, it's about 'Constant Vigilance'. I'm great at feeling like I'm good at something. I'm great at thinking I've got a bit of knowledge in a subject and that it's more than enough to get by. As a matter of fact, that's probably the reason it rubs me the wrong way so much when people profess expertise in a subject without proving that they really have it. There's plenty I think I know. Including people.

And at the same time, I'm continually surprised. I'm surprised at how people accept me even when they know my icky side. I'm surprised when I assume someone will react to something in a certain way and they don't. I'm surprised and how little credit I give some folks...often the ones who've shown how much they're really there for me. I flip into this "Oh well gee...you might think I'm great, but you're wrong. I don't deserve your love/appreciation/acceptance/etc"

That's utter bullshit.

My friends and family are my pillars. More than they know.

It takes me an incredibly long time to really trust most people, and it's ridiculously hard for me to love with a complete open heart.

I think that's the next thing to work on. To watch, at least. To be vigilant of.

Love you all. Seriously. I wouldn't be where or who I am without you.

Dak

P.S. Bullet Points!

  • That post about Earthbound may be a while...I'm trying to find an angle. Might have to use video for that one to make all my points. You know what that means!! MY ANNUAL PLAYTHROUGH OF EARTHBOUND IS COMING UP!
  • If you're wondering--yes, the pictures are almost entirely unrelated.
  • I turn 27 in just under a week. Let's hope the rock star curse doesn't hit me...which would make sense, since I'm by no means a rock star.
  • Doo Doo Thursdays...resurrect, or let it go?
  • Also--you should probably check out this blog. It's written by a dear friend of mine whose linguistic skills are only outdone by her incredible personality. She is beyond lovely, and you'd only be doing yourself a favor by giving her work a look-see.Link

3 comments:

  1. If Doo Doo Thursdays means more Muffin, then I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to say I've been really enjoying readin' your thoughts, my friend. Also, I just clicked on "Doo Doo Thursdays" and am fully supportive of resurrection.

    ReplyDelete