Monday, October 25, 2010

Survival Mode

This song perfectly encapsulates my feelings about getting a 'survival job' for the holidays. Hopefully I won't have to enter the ol Barnes and Noble as an employee again anytime soon...I'll be calling and e-mailing local theatres and such to see if they need house managers or box office folks. Best case scenario I book a gig teaching movement, clowning, pantomime, or something. Or...y'know...lead some text and movement workshops at the pretend college or my old High School.

BOINK!!

It took me a while to get up this morning. Last night's TV marathonning in my underpants with a bowl of Cracklin Oat Bran really took it out of me(?) Nah..couldn't be that. It was the week's worth of shows all catching up to my body. Matter of fact, come this Monday I will have been working on Othello and An Ideal Husband for about four months. If you throw Shakesperience in there, I've been hearing "And what's he then that says I play the villain?" on repeat for the better part of the year. That's not a complaint. I've got no gripes about listening to and performing Shakespeare all year. That's like saying "Man, I wish I could take a break from that daily smoothie'n'intercourse routine my girlfriend's got me on." I'm immensely grateful for this year and those to come. It's strange just how significantly my life has been altered at 25. It's staggering, really. I've put in a good amount of effort--though there's still plenty of projects and things I want to get going. Such as:

Start my own theatre company.
Naturally, this is the dream. Get all my favorite actors together and just fuck with texts. Blow them apart. Explore them. Live them. Rip them to shreds and run around naked with "What fools these mortals be" smeared on our bodies in glow-in-the-dark paint.

Get High School Daze back off the ground.
I've been drawing this fucking comic since middle school. I remember the exact day I created the main character, Jason McKinsey...I was at an airport headed to the east coast and I wanted to kill some time before the flight left. I've been drawing him now for most of my life--and that series holds a special place in my heart.

Start Clowning Around.
I've been avoiding this terrifying idea, but I can't any longer. I've been a little too busy to come up with good street routines, but I would love to begin clowning on a regular basis. I think its a healthy way to confront my stage fears face to face.

Write Some More Effing Music.
I've written all of one song, and I'm not terribly proud of it. I want to write enough to start playing gigs at coffee shops. That's right.

But first--survival job. I wonder if there's a market for a job where I literally just survive. Like I have a machete, a canteen, and a towel, and a film crew follows me around LA while I'm hacking away at shrubs and collecting rainwater from gutters.

Hell, Jersey Shore has an audience--and I don't think any of those fuckers could even SPELL 'survival'.

Much love (with rubber gloves,)
Dak

2 comments:

  1. I FUCKING LOVE CRACKLIN' OAT BRAN.

    They say perfection is unattainable. Cracklin' Waffle Crisp. Yeah, chew on that. I WISH I COULD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

    I can no longer be happy knowing this doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete