Thursday, November 10, 2011

Nippy November (HAHAHAHAHAHA NIP)

First off, listen to Childish Gambino.

Yeah, that's rapper/actor/comedian Donald Glover, a.k.a. the reason I will never work in film and T.V. His lyrics predominantly center around the identity crisis of being a geeky black guy in the mainstream. There's a ton of insecurity between the lines. It's something I can definitely relate to. And hell, it's cool to hear that stuff vocalized. That said, his mere existence floods the market--so I'm afraid he must be destroyed and quietly replaced by yours truly.


I'm spending a lot of time in coffee shops again, hanging with buddies before our show. We do a lot of talking, and it sort of helps with the malaise. The general consensus seems to be--we want to work on art that's worthwhile, we want to be proud of our work, we want a project that works us so hard that we get our perspective back. It probably stands to reason that we'll have to create it if we can't find it. I can only speak for myself here, but what my life needs is a serious electric jolt in the taint. Let me rephrase that--I need to punch myself in the taint.

Metaphorically.

Chances are that will entail getting a second job (as I just started training at Anthropologie.) That has nothing to do with my artistic growth, but it'll take a lot of the headache away. I've been getting teaching gigs and a handful of paying shows, but that's barely enough for survival. I've been living in Boise for two months now, and I don't have a bedspread....or a dresser...or anything up on the walls. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of 'stuff'...but at the same time, I can't continue to live a Totally Boho (Season 2 coming to DVD!) lifestyle if I'm planning on setting down some roots. I'd LIKE to have people over one day without feeling embarrassed.

Currently it's, "Hey...uh..come on over! I have a...chair. Oh! And you can read one of the six books on the shelf if you'd like! How 'bout that? Ticklin' your fancy?"

"Don't ever refer to my 'fancy' again."

In other news, it's chilly. It's cold as hell. These days I'm walking around looking like a hipster Ezio Auditore with all the layers I'm wearing. I'm diggin' fall, though. Fall here is gorgeous, and it seems to rub off on everyone in this town. It makes me a bit piney. To be fair I'm not pining after anyone per se, but a chilly walk home at night is a lot nicer when you've got open arms to come home to--and when you've spent all day surrounded by cute ladies in fantastic hats it's easy to let your mind play romantic music and turn everything into a black and white film. If I had my druthers, my FANTASY would include much more swordplay and frequent candlelit dinners on the bridge of my zeppelin (S.S. Onion Booty.) Our relationship would be adversarial. We'd call each other things like "Arch Nemesis", "Bane of my Existence" and "Cute Little Bucket of Vengeance". We'd decorate our rooms with good intentions, but end up covered head to toe in paint, glitter glue, and elbow macaroni. And we'd listen to a LOT of videogame music.

Also this:


To conclude, bullet points!
  • Hunters (the graphic novel I'm collaborating with the gentleman above to write) is being outlined right now. Can't wait to start writing the scripts and drawing it out.
  • I'm still kinda sick, so no more games of Cough-In-Your-Eye until I get better.
  • My current theater wishlist includes: Woyzeck, Uncle Vanya, Waiting for Godot, One For The Road, The Dumb Waiter, and a devised movement/clown piece.
  • I'm in a book club! I also purchase doilies and put costumes on my cat.
  • One of the previous three statements is true.
  • LISTEN TO KIMBRA.
  • What do Skyrim, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Saints Row the 3rd, Uncharted 3, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, and Regina Spektor have in common?
  • I want them all.

Be good, cats! I've got ups to push and outs to work.

Love and other thugs,

Dak

No comments:

Post a Comment