Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Getting to Know Me

Been a while!

So here's the sitch. Last weekend, some friends and I took a trip up to McCall Idaho to perform an adapted Hamlet that we wrote a handful of days prior. It was one of the most hectic, fun, ridiculous times I've had in a while. Essentially it proved to me how well things can still go under an immense amount of pressure. It also reinforced what I already knew about my talented friends. It also, unfortunately, reminded me of some aspects of myself that still need an incredible amount of work.

I think love and friendship are conditional.

Yes, it's still a notion I'm trying to work on/through. It's a rare instance in which I feel comfortable enough to reveal my 'true colors' to someone. Even to people that I love, or people that I'm close to. I've spent my entire life dancing around judgment--because it's been my theory that when people judge you, they aren't accepting you. I have a very difficult time with the idea that someone can like most of you, some of you, or even a tiny smidgen of you, and still be your friend. Still love you. Intellectually I know that, but it's tough to really GET it. Hell, there are plenty of friends of mine that I know I have to take with a grain of salt...but I refuse to let it go both ways. I hate what I tell myself when I'm being judged. I hate the physical reaction I get when I feel like I've wronged a friend. I hate the sick feeling and the "Jeez, well that's over. They'll never speak to me again." conclusion I jump to so frequently.

Yes, of course I know why I do that. At the same time, I've done very little with that knowledge. I've used it to hide further in my shell as opposed to looking at this method of behavior as a result of trauma. Again, it feels incredibly weak to admit this, but it's something that has been really staring me in the face lately. After McCall, I felt so anxious that I could barely sleep. At work the following day, I was a wreck. Only today do I feel like I'm beginning to examine this idea with any form of objectivity.

Cuz seriously...look...I love, respect, and accept a hell of a lot of people. It's not often that I do myself the same basic courtesy. It's just about time to be excited about who and what I am. It's about time to start accepting the fact that THIS IS NEW FOR ME.

It's also about time to wrap up this post with some bullet points.
  • Please do yourself a favor and give this a read. It's just about the funniest, smartest, cleverest bit of self-reflection I have ever read.
  • I'm planning a very long in-depth post about why a game from 1995 is still one of the best titles I've ever played. Here's a hint.
  • I am not even CLOSE to thinking about the holidays.
  • Um...this.
  • Yet ANOTHER post I'm planning is all about attraction (in all forms.) Keep your pervy eyes peeled.
  • Still poor? Yup. Still single? Yup. Really happy? Quite so.

Be well, loves!

DaBroTah

5 comments:

  1. Rock on Dakotah!
    I read Sarah's blog yesterday- loved it, and especially that it has the "adult content warning," appropriate.
    I adore this blog and you.
    You are magical and imperfect. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Hannah! Gotta say, you are definitely one of my role models. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the plug buddy! Sorry McCall was rough. Miss your face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wants to steal your bullet points idea for Frivolous Universe! Of course I will give you credit (and linkage) for the idea. Eh? What do you say?

    -Kelly Lynae

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahaha--steal away! I love that format!

    ReplyDelete