Sunday, October 11, 2009

Omaha The Beautiful (or 1 Player Mode)

Finished ZMM this morning. Felt a bit like the waning hours of an Amusement Park trip. I'm sad that its over, but I can still conjure up that roller coaster feeling when I close my eyes. I highly recommend it if you're a fan of existence.

And yes, that was a threat.

My mission for the day was to find some kind of breakfast place in Omaha. Thus far, they've appeared rather scarce--as evidently this is a city of eternal lunch. The fact of the matter is, my radius of exploration is rather hindered by my lack of wheels/jetpack fuel, so its only natural that I haven't found a decent bucket-o-pancakes base of operations yet. Five minutes on google, and I was all set to go.

I left the house after a brief chat with my host mom, Pat (Note to self--get her a giftbasket before I leave.) Yesterday's snow had all but melted, leaving white sugar-spill patches on bushes and rooftops, as if nature's cap wasn't screwed on tight enough. Armed with a cheap scarf and gloves, I was ready to brave the 30ish degree weather in search of flapjacks and (fingers crossed) a mimosa or two.

The walk was longer than I expected, but I found a bakery/restaurant and ate there. IT WAS FANTMAZING. Mixed berry syrup--delicious and racially conscious. Afterwards I decided to Robert Frost it and pick a route I'd never tried before, one that ran parallel to snow-bordered creek.

I was immediately facepunched by the utter silence of the trail. The wind held the monopoly on volume as trees and weeds rustled around me. I was in a kind of paved valley, with hills sloping upward on either side of me. Green patched with combed-through glittering white. The trail ran beneath some overpasses and I could snatch icicles down from the dripping supports. No more than 3 cyclists biked by and we greeted each other. Every now and again, there would be a huge puddle of fallen leaves (FALL! OH YEAH. SEASONS.) that I would tromp through like a Kindergartner. When I thought the scene couldn't possibly become more idyllic, I heard a faint song begin to play over a loudspeaker.

Fucking Viva La Vida.

I don't know how the hell they'll ever pry me away. Unless, of course, butts are involved.

Love,
Dakotah

P.S. Have any of you had any "HOLY EFF, SUDDENLY EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE" moments recently? What was dey' like? Drug induced/non drug induced--I wanna hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment