Saturday, March 20, 2010

Even Love The Cool Kids

In addition to being an awesome band name, it's something I have to constantly remind myself. Considering that Silly Is The New Sexy is my general philosophy--a lot of 'Cool People' slip through the cracks.

I think cool is stupid as hell, so I don't cut it any slack. Consequently, I look down on the phenomenon as a whole and tend to castigate those who buy into it. It's just as unfair as cool people doing the same. It comes from a fear of acceptance. Write them off before they write you off--essentially it reveals the underlying need to be found just as cool.

But I ain't. I won't ever be, and I don't want to be.

And shit, it's individual anyway. Utterly. Why am I going to expend any energy trying to compare the whole of my being to anyone/anything else? I think swing dancing is cool. I think hilarious videos are cool. I think Gurren-Lagann is cool. I think the large hadron collider is cool. I think buying an old military decal and pinning it to my hunting cap is cool. Also; goths who are totally nice, swanky coffee shops, irreverent webcomics, steampunk, poetry, Shakespeare, and fantastic butts are all cool.

Theory: Human beings crave additional methods of measurement--things that aren't as simple as physique--things that can tip the scales in the everyman's favor. Things we can ultimately control.

So we made 'cool'...and the hipsters/bros/thugs/shopgirls said it was good.

It's an expired concept. It's time to trade it for something like 'honesty' or 'enthusiasm'.

Dorkily yours always,
Dakotah

2 comments:

  1. I was watching this movie the other day, where this girl got turned into a crystal because she was a l'Cie, and her ass-kicking sister and her pansy-ass boyfriend had to save her. Oh, wait, it wasn't a movie, it was a cut scene from FFXIII. Long story short, I think I understand you a little more having experienced some of FF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahahaha--you are glorious. I'm glad you could be Paaart of myyy woooorld.

    ReplyDelete