Thursday, January 28, 2010

Monologue Fest! (Part Four)

Here's another! Yum yum honeybuns...I took a break there for a bit, but I don't want to miss my deadline. Again, at the end, I'll have you vote on which one I should perform.

Shazam

A woman stands down-center, a look of exasperation on her face. She wears elaborate star-dusted robes and a tall pointed hat. SL of her is a standing table holding a large dark pot. The woman shakes her head and takes a deep breath before rambling through her words.

You have to listen to what I’m saying--it’s a lost cause. I’m sorry you spent so much money and time and effort tracking us down--we are a very secretive organization, and I do appreciate that you specifically selected me to be your liaison…but there is absolutely nothing I can do. Nothing I can do that would work, that is. I know the tendency with you people is to dig into the bowels of history and science in order to extract the quickest fix. The longshot. Without really understanding the implications of what you’re getting yourselves into, you dive right in and hope for the best. It’s the exact same lack of perspective that got you into this mess in the first place! And…I mean come on, just because you haven’t inherited ‘The Sight’ (all hail the sixty moons of Saturn for bestowing upon us the gift of the infinite eye) doesn’t mean you can simply ignore your impact on the very tomorrow you live in! For the sake of the universe, you can’t just ignore the things you can’t see.

The woman calms herself down. Takes a deep breath and glides to her large pot.

Here, for example.

She removes a beer can from the cauldron.

This is a drinking receptacle. It’s made of aluminum.

She places the can into the pot and closes the lid--a second later, her eyes roll back and she enters a trance. Her hands caress the air around the pot for a few seconds…then as soon as it happens, it stops. She blinks awake and opens the lid, removing a sheet of aluminum from the pot.

Alright? That’s it! That’s all I can do for you! It’s still here, and it’s still aluminum. Yes, I can change it into a liquid or a gas or…a plasma, whatever. Sure…but you’re not seeing the main issue here.

She speaks as if addressing a child.

When you close your eyes, do you think the world disappears? No. You’re right. It’s still there. If you can’t see something, does it not exist? Does…oh…say…Siberia exist? Yes. Yes it does. How about…Lisbon? Sure it does. Riiight. What about…oh….gee….the refuse you threw out last week? Yes. You betcha. It’s still there. How about…oohh…next week? That is to say…does next week exist? If you're not looking at next week, is it still there? Are we…are we having trouble with this one?

Her exasperation builds.

YES IT FUCKING IS! COME ON, PEOPLE!! USE YOUR IMAGINATIONS AT LEAST! And whether or not you’ll be here to see it, it’s still going to HAPPEN.

Look…I’m not trying to come off like an environmentalist. If I’m an activist for anything, it’s thinking. Rational thought. This…fooling ourselves it’s just…

She sighs.

Come the fuck on. You can’t fix your problems if you refuse to think. For fuck's sake, I’m an alchemist, not a magician.


Love,
Dakotah

No comments:

Post a Comment